Monday, November 16, 2009

The Cuttlebug Spot Turkey Challenge

Who You Calling Turkey?

Well its Thanksgiving (almost) so of course a turkey would be the star of this weeks challenge.

Okay want to know my original idea? To have a flock of chickens with a turkey hiding in the mix saying "cluck cluck". So after over a hour of designing this on DS and then getting my paper all laid on the mat and I realize that my cricut cartridge is gone!!!! Oh great!!!! So, this...plan B!

I started this as a card but knew I didn't really want to give it away and then decided I would write a private message to my family and put the card on a page! Now all I have to do is get that fabulous family photo on Thanksgiving and in it goes! (side note, I was a stubborn wifey and insisted all my kids have my last name as well as my husbands...not unusual in many cultures but it still is here...hence the title "we're the Schaeffer Lash's").

Cricut cuts...turkey from Stretch Your Imagination and font is Plantin Schoolbook. Turkey background is from Doodlecharms and the pie and musket is from Paper Dolls.


Cuttlebug Highlight~
I embossed with everyone's favorite Swiss Dots, rubbed it down with sandpaper and then used my colored markers to randomly color the white core cardstock. I love this look so much that I can not wait to try this is different color patterns (how about green, red and gold for Christmas!)


Last week I used this same technique for my SOUS challenge LO which was tone on tone. Again I used white core cardstock, cut my shape and distressed to show enough of the white for it to show off the page. I repeated the dinner turkey cut all over the page (and made sure some were coming off the page so it looked randomly placed and part of the background paper).

As most of you know Paper Dolls does not have layers so I cut the pie twice and just cut it in half and layered that.

Okay and as if that all were not time consuming enough...I decided the title needed a bit something. After I cut everything I pushed the title into my Distress Embossing Ink pad by Ranger and used Tea Dye Distressed embossing powder. It gives a great other element to the page and some extra texture.

Wow, okay so that about covers it! Hope you all like this and feel inspired to eat up on Thanksgiving dinner!


6 comments:

jacque4u2c said...

Just adorable!

Sandi Clarkson said...

Leah, this is adorable .. made me smile seeing that turkey with his shotgun LOL And that pie looks so good I'm ready to eat it! Love the look of your embossing powders .. I've never done those, can you believe?? Have a great and hopefully sunny day! Hugs, Sandi

DonnaMundinger said...

WWWWAAAYYY cute Leah! Love all of the details you added like coloring the dots, using distress embossing powder, and doing the tone on tone background. Will DEFINITELY have to try that! Love it! xxD

Joy-N-Jesus said...

great layout! I love it! Oh, and you should have come to the party! :) We would have loved to have you!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I really enjoyed reading all you went through to get this "awesome" lo. I think it is just too cute.
You will have to show me how to do the distress embossing powder. You little enabler you, I have been buying the distressed ink (you wouldn't believe how many I have now )and now I see I need the distessed embossing powder.

Joy said...

Leah...this is oh so cute !!! Love the sanded embossing and the different colors you inked the dots with !!! Have a great Thanksgiving!!!
xoxo Joy