Friday, February 5, 2010

Baby Love ~ SOUS February 5th~ and Baby Shower card


Baby Love



Ok so I am going to try and be better (and now that I know how to) at posting the sketches along with my projects. This weeks sketch is by one of our favorites, Beggahuna.

Before I go into the LO...these are birth photos of all of my children. Cody, Scotti and Jordyn. Not in order of birth but because I needed to crop the one of Scotti, it looked better in the middle and gave me a spot on the side to put their names. I was just a little sad doing this LO because, well, as many of you know Scotti is adopted and the nurse in the hospital would not let me take photos of Scotti. Pretty much by the time we got into the hospital he was here so I went right in and was the first to hold him. We then took him to the nursery where I stayed with him until we took him home. Just he and I and a rocking chair in the corner. Since they didn't allow me to take pictures I don't have much from his first day (just a few treasured ones)...this photo being one of them. And of course the beautiful very first photos of Jordyn and Cody, which melt my heart each time I see them (ohhhh its bringing on tears!!!)

onto the LO...enough of my silliness...I loved and enjoyed the bones of this LO but struggled when it came to embellishing this. With the part that I wanted to open (see next picture) it made embellishing over it difficult, as I could not put anything coming off of that part. After a lot of designing and editing and deleting on DS this is what I came up with.


This shows how the entire section folds up to reveal a place for lots of journaling, a little hand made embellishment and an extra photo of my newborn Scotti.



Baby Love was cut from All Mixed Up. I really like that cart because it offers 3 layers to the lettering!


I had a few different techniques for the squares. Some were sanded, distressed with an edge distresser, embossed and inked. Some also had faux stitching.




Ok last shot! Showing what I did with the cuts from New Arrival. I think the animals on that cart are totally freaky but I do like what else it has to offer!



guess I will mention now that we have CANDY over at SOUS, so please if you want some goodies...go leave a comment for a chance to win and if you post a project..you get in there twice! how nice!

Its a Boy!

Woo Hoo, bonus project for today!

My friend Katie is having a baby boy and I am going to her baby shower on saturday. She was my older sisters best friend and I used to cry to her at school because some boys were always mean to me! So she is like a sister to me! This is her first child and I am just thrilled for her!

Cuts are from Zooballoo, a total favorite of mine! I embossed the die cut card and added a ribbon.


One last photo for today showing the layering and dimension of the birds and branch.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and please stop in at SOUS to see what my other GF's have done with this sketch!


16 comments:

Sandy said...

Good Morning me lady....I was so happy to read all the details of your layout..I understand the lack of precious photos...as you know my x holds mine hostage...but no one cand take the memory of you, Scotti and the rocking chair...it will forever be your moment with your first child! Okay, dont' wanna cry. I love that u used all 3 of your children in this layout....I adore the jounaling and that it is hidden under the panel...the colors are fab...and once again your embossing adds the most beautiful, subtle details to your page! The card is gorgeous...I love the peek a boo effect....I need to make a card and struggle with this so much...when can you come over and teach me?
luv ya....sandy

magicwanda said...

Hi Leah
I always love to read about your designs....
Thats one thing I like about you is you give so much detail....Love It!
These are so Presious.....You brought a tear to my eye.
Awesome layout and Awesome memories
Big Hugs Wanda:-)
--{--@

CraftyGirl said...

Leah... you need to stop already... you are bringing tears to my eyes!! Seriously though, this is sooo sweet and I really appreciate the way you open up and tell what's on your heart when you post. All of your children are so precious, and to do a LO with all of them at one time is so stunning. Don't you just want to sit and look at it all day?! I love the way you included a lot of journaling, yet was able to tuck it away. I really, really like the way you put the birth year next to the photo in the border! How clever are you?!
Fabulous LO again!!
Barb

DonnaMundinger said...

AWWWW Leah, this is bringing tears to my eyes too! How precious they all are, and how funny that you wouldn't have had to tell me who was who in the pix. Adorable detail here and I agree, the years on the border are a fab idea! That card is just the sweetest too! Guess we're all just partial to babies. I could look at baby stuff all day long! Yea on posting the sketch AND the LINK! WooHoo! xxD

Nanne said...

I'm so sorry to hear about not having more photos when it comes to Scotti, but like Sandy said "No one can take away the memory!"..
I adore this layout and not till now, did I know you had a hidden journal area.. You clever, clever girl...I suck when it comes to journaling, need more help with that...LOL any givers?..
hugs
Nanné

Sandi Clarkson said...

Okay, Miss Leah, I decided to start my blog hopping with you this week and now I'm just boohooing .. but anyway .. I sooo wish I'd thought of your journaling idea! How fantabulous! I had a hard time with embellies on this one because my papers were so strong but now the ideas are starting to flow .. I think this layout is one of my all time faves of yours! As always, you are our embossing queen! Hugs!

Leah said...

GOOD GRIEF! It's like a big old boo hoo fest...you silly ladies having me all teary reading all these!

LOVE YOU ALLLL SO MUCH!

AmandaB said...

Leah, your LO is so precious.. You are so talented and I am so glad our last pregnancy's brought us together.. It is a precious gift to find a friend that shares the same passions for family and scraping.. Thanks for being the sweetie you are :0)

((hugs))
Amanda:0)

Sheila said...

Leah, this is a beautiful layout with the most heartwarming photos and look at that wonderful journaling! Love the details, the embelishments and the colors are awesome. Thanks.

Fern said...

What beautiful memories to scrap and journal about!! Your babies are precious Leah and your layout is fabulous!! Will have to keep in mind the way you did your journaling.. Very creative!! XXX

Jennifer said...

Beautiful, beautiful work, Leah! Love that you were able to use pics of all 3 kiddos. And the little squares to the side with all their personal touches is just fab. I can't wait til I can attempt this sketch. TFS

Beatriz Farquhar Guzman said...

Leah, this is fabulous!I love all the details of your page and the journal card is fantastic. The card is so adorable! Great work! Have a great and blessed weekend!

Debbie said...

Leah, such a cute layout! Don't feel bad about the photos. I only have one of my son. Couldn't take one of my daughter as she was in ICU for 10 days. Love the pastel colors on the layout and the color blocking along with the embossing takes the cake! Love the hidden journaling!

Tammara said...

Beautiful layout Leah! I love the journaling area and all the cute little new arrival cuts.

Kaye's Crafty Place said...

Wow Leah your story is so precious and definately has us all in tears. Your layout is just stunning and will always hold such special memories. I really do have to agree with you about New Arrival, those animals are so freeky looking.

Your card is just gorgeous, that bird is so cute, a cart I may have to look into.

hugs
Kaye x

Kelly said...

What a great layout Leah! Love how you added a place to journal. Your story is touching and and pictures are precious! Love the card you made for Katie. Everyone needs someone they can cry to, glad she was there for you!