Monday, February 8, 2010

Love Bugs Altered Mailbox ~TCS Challenge~



Love Bugs
Altered Mailbox

What a fun challenge this week for The Cuttlebug Spot! I have to tell you all that I have not done very much in terms of altering, but I do think it is so much fun and I am glad I have the chance to do it for these challenges!

Thank you to my girlfriend Donna for the mailbox, as I am sure you've all seen them, they are from Target (though all of my shopping to local T's, I have never seen them there!)

I knew right away that I wanted this to be a special place where each year I could write a letter to my kids for Valentines Day (or VansDay as my little Jordie is calling it! LOL!) After that and with this being red...the love bug idea was pretty natural.



I hand cut on a transparency for the wings (well first cut on regular paper and then traced it). Embossed with Divine Swirls. I used a technique by my girlfriend Sandy for the wings. She did a tutorial (you'll find that HERE) for butterflies at our site Stuck on U Sketches, I used the same idea here. It is a wonderful idea and as you can see can be changed up a bit to fit many different projects. It is hard to see but on the opposite side I used a silver metallic pen and added dots along the swirls, then Stickles on top! The lady bug spots were also embossed with the CB but not with what you'd expect! I used the christmas ornament folder and choice the ornament that had larger sized circles on it, I placed my circles there and embossed (or rather my helper Jordyn did all those, and by helper I mean, its actually was helpful~ shocking I know!)

I included a photo of that embossing folder and you can clearly see that ornament...I really like this idea and wish I would have thought of it before (I always want to emboss small areas but never like the designs...well now I know I can find different ones within ones I own!)



I included a photo of that embossing folder and you can clearly see that ornament...I really like this idea and wish I would have thought of it before (I always want to emboss small areas but never like the designs...well now I know I can find different ones within ones I own!)



Fun wire was used for the antenna's, I used a tiny hole punch which went through the metal and taped the piece down on the inside. Added a little ribbon as well.

I didn't realized until now that my photo of the "love bugs" didn't turn out well but its too late now! LOL! I hand cut these to fit and stamped using mini letters from the dollar section at M's.
(and if you pay very close attention you can kinda sorta see those silver dots on the wings)

Last but not least...three little lady bugs representing the 3 little bug-a-boo's are mine! Cut is from Doodlecharms (yes I wanted to use these again after that last LO because they are a very favorite cut of mine!) The red wings were cut on white core cardstock so I distressed the edges very lightly, added white gel pen doodling and hearts that were punched with a heart hole punch. (something that's sat in my stash and never been used!)

10 comments:

~JulieH~ said...

Leah this is just the most unique idea and so so creative! I love your ladybug mailbox!
Juliexx

scrappin_mom3 said...

Leah I love your mailbox-- this is just too cute!! What a clever little design there!

hugs,

Kerri

STAMPMOM9 said...

Oh mygosh Leah this is soooooo adorable!! Talk about creative!! This is just amazing!!! The wings...the ladybugs...which I adore!! Always!! Girl this is just WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!! Dawn

Sandi Clarkson said...

Leah, this is adorable. What a clever, clever idea to use the transparency for your wings! Great embossing. And I see there is room left for a few more ladybugs .. whenever .. some might come your way LOL

DonnaMundinger said...

Oh Leah this is as cute as can be! How creative turning is into a ladybug! Wish I'd thought of that! LOL Now aren't you glad you got stuck with a RED one? Notice mine turned out red as well. My original ideas didn't turnout as planned. Everytihing about this is so totally ADORABLE could pee my pants! (JK) xxD

Beatriz Farquhar Guzman said...

Leah.. this is so cute! I love it.

CraftyGirl said...

Girl... where do you get these ideas?!!! This is soooo stinkin' cute!! I totally wish you would have shown this about 3 days earlier... my daughter just did one of these for her teacher... and I will be honest... it didn't even come close to this cuteness!!! And those wings!!!! Great idea! (Of course!)
Barb

Kaye's Crafty Place said...

Oh Leah you did a fab job on these. The wings looks stunning, love all the embossing and detailing. I so wish Target over here stocked these sort of things.

hugs
Kaye x

Jennifer said...

LOVE your buggy box!! It's just too cute. Where in the world do you get all your ideas? TFS

Cindy said...

Hi Leah! I love your mailbox! So stinkin' cute. You left a comment on my blog today about my printer. So I thought I'd let you know it's a $25 Walmart Black Friday special from 2 yrs ago. I always laugh cause the ink costs me $22 each time I need a new cartridge. I could throw the printer away and get a new one. I like lots of photos on 1 pg. I'll visit again now that I've found you.