Friday, May 7, 2010

My Mom ~SOUS May 7~



My Mom



Happy Mothers Day!!!!!

and Congrats to the SOUS Guest Designers!


I want to say Happy Mothers Day to all the Mommies, Grandma's, Auntie's and to really all the special women we have in our lives! To me this is a celebration of the women we cherish in our lives, Mothers or not. So let us remember those ladies we care for, those that are here and those that watch us from heaven.

This LO was so special to me because this is my Mommy. She and I have become so much closer since I had children. I really don't think you can understand your own Mom as well until you have kids of your own (like, why does my Mom obsess over me? what? just like you obsess over your own kids? oh, oh I get it now! LOL!)

This week at Stuck on U Sketches we have another killer sketch by a favorite, Liz Qualman!

It also just so happens that this LO is perfect for a challenge at The Pink Elephant challenge blog, the theme is Mom's...and well...perfect! Hope its ok for me to share over there even if this is a DT project! Great site all and I look forward to coming back!



I gave my Cricut a little workout with this LO! I think most of the cuts came from My Community. A cart I had to have, sold it and then bought it again! LOL!

Now if I may explain this page...this is NOT, I repeat NOT because she is the "old lady"...I got this idea because my Mom raised 6 children and now has 8 grandkids, hence the "so many children, she didn't know what to do!".



I wasn't sure about giving her grey hair but I did in honor of my Mom that recently has given in and stopped coloring her hair! Funny because the older 2 sisters love it natural and the younger 2 think she should continue to color it...guess there is a difference between the ages? With that said, my Mom, grey hair or none, would NEVER be caught in a dress and wrap! LMBO!



I really enjoyed this cut! I did a little modifying, added some shutters, pen and doodling.


I put the tree here instead of the second photo as in the sketch, and the rest of the embellishing instead of the flowers and such. I added the doggy because my Mom loves dogs so much (the stranger the dog, the better!)



I know this is shocking, but I don't remember what font I used (I have no idea why its so hard since I really only use the same half a dozen carts!) So while I don't remember that, I will tell you that the pp as well as the cardstock is all DCWV. Prints from the newest Spring stack.



After I had made all the cuts I had the brilliant (aren't I nice to myself?) ideas to add some stamping to my cuts. I recently bought Hero Art background stamps, the clouds and woodgrain (stamps are the 2010 release). I stamped the cloud stamp on the cloud cuts (from the Zooballoo cart???) in Versamark)



And lastly the woodgrain stamp in brown on the tree trunk...makes me want to do a whole forest worth!


And goodness, that covers it! Oh no, no it does not....we (meaning Sandy, Nanne, Sandi C and myself) choose our Guest Designers for SOUS....

Congrats to...

Barb, Stine, Jill, Fern and Beatriz! (don't kill me for not posting links BUT you CAN find all their blogs linked over at Stuck on U!)

With such an amazing and diverse group of crafters, I can not wait to see what you all come up with because I know its going to blow us away!!!

22 comments:

Joy-N-Jesus said...

that is a wonderful layout! love it! totally know what you mean about getting close to mom after babies! :) funny how that works!
Hey where are you from? My dh applied to a job in the south bay area "santa cruz" area. Is that close to you?

Kelly said...

OMG Leah, what an awesome layout! You weren't kidding when you said you have your Cricut a workout...so much detail! I absolutely LOVE the shoe idea...it's way too cute!

Stine said...

Thanks ;) will not let you down :)

love your layout, and even more now when I have read all about it. hope you mom won't be offended by the cute old lady LOL

miss you and the guys on the cricut board. Have no idea where my time disappears.

DonnaMundinger said...

Love this Leah! First of all, FABULOUS pic of Marco! Certainly no resemblence to the "old lady". (What, a DRESS!?) LOL Totally adorable layout. Love your stamping and little details on the shoe house. Great job, girlfriend! xxD

CraftyGirl said...

Happy Friday!!! Oh My Word Leah... this LO is priceless!! I LOVE the theme and the rationale behind all of the elements!! And the gray hair thing... seems to be a touchy subjects with our mothers these days!! LOL!! I'm just glad I will never have the problem because I am NEVER going gray!! I may turn 100 as a blonde!!! LOL!! So... back to your LO... Love all the elements and cuts... must have taken forever!! But worth it!! Adorable!!
And your stamping is a fabulous touch to an already fantastic LO!!
Thanks to you and your team for giving me a chance to join you... I am so excited!!
Oh... I plan to make it to California long before I retire.... You never know, I may just show up on your doorstep one day!! :)
Barb :)

Maureen Reiss said...

OH, Wow! this is really cute, love everything about it.. great job

Beatriz Farquhar Guzman said...

Leah, this page is adorable!!!!! Love everything about it. The stamping is perfect. Happy mother's Day and Happy Friday too!

CelticWoman said...

Leah, happy friday, your page is great, so much detail and happy day to you also. Sandi

scrappinlil said...

Leah, this is such a wonderful lo. I love the scene at the bottom...I love how you added so much detail yet it did not take away from your beautiful mom. I also love how you added doodling to the shoe and the reason you made the shoe with the old women...very cute. TFS

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Poor little cricut needs to take a nap after all this cutting!!! So worth it as this is a WONDERFUL - BEAUTIFUL page! All the detail is perfect!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Oh Leah, this is just an amazing awesome layout. You did a beautiful job on it. I love all the special details you have added. hugs

Margie said...

What a great job you did on this, Leah! I love the stamping details (gotta get me that wood grain one... I love it!) and the doodling. What a beautiful mom you have and good for her on the coif decision!!! My girls would die if I ever decided to ditch the peroxide for au naturale! LOL! Have a beautiful Mother's Day!

Audrey Frelx said...

Leah, love the layout!!! Great job!

Dalis said...

I am so glad you found us Leah... and I hope to see you play next week!

-- dalis
PIO Owner.

Sandi Clarkson said...

Awesome job, Miss Leah. Have to tell you though that both my dds have more gray hair than I ... I am a seriously lucky woman in that department! Back to you ... I so need to get out my MC cart and do more than just use the fence! Love your additions to the shoe! Fab pic of your Mom. Have a great weekend.

AmandaB said...

Oh Leah, your page is so sweet...I love the old lady in the shoe cuts you used...

Amanda:0)

Tammara said...

Leah, you always bring a smile with such great stories behind your layouts! Absolutely love every detail on this one--too funny! Have a great Mother's Day.

Krista said...

This is fabulous!!! I love your layout and your cricut characters are too cute! Thanks for playing along with the scrap challenge at The Pink Elephant!

Fern said...

Leah, you are so creative using the Little Old Lady and the Shoe theme for this cute layout of your mother!!! Super cute cuts to go with the beautiful photo of your mother!! Luv it!!! Hugs!!!

Jill said...

Hi Leah,
What a great layout! I love your reasoning behind the shoe! So creative! I am so excited to get to be a GD for SOUS! Thanks! Great layout, can't wait to get mine going for this week!

Debbie said...

Leah - what a great layout! Love the creativity that went into it!

~Christina~ said...

Oh my....that is soooo cute! :)