Friday, June 11, 2010

Fathers Day card ~SOUS June 11~



Fathers Day 2010


Let me apologize now for not coming by the blogs much lately. Yesterday was my son's last day of kindergarten. It was bitter sweet for me as we have decided to retain him so he will not be going on with the friends he has made this year. We officially told him today and he didn't seem fazed at all! LOL! I was expecting something more...but am glad it didn't happen. I hope this is the right decision.

And we are also on vacation!!! So I won't be by any blogs for a while, I will have to block out half a day to play catch up! LOL!

That also means that I will be not be participating in next weeks Stuck on U Sketches challenge. I thought I might be able to get ahead but I was a little too optimistic, so though I will be home that day I know I won't be able to get any scrapping done on time.

Ok so onto today's challenge...our second week so that means no sketch at SOUS but a challenge and the challenge is EMBOSSING! That means dry or wet or any combination of those...

This challenge came at a perfect time for me to do some Father's Day cards for my Daddy as well as for my Father in law. I look forward to giving these to both of my wonderful Dads!


The first card is for my Dad....


This is a gate card as well as a belly band card! Both styles I haven't done in forever so I thought this would be fun!


I took this extra photo to show how the card opens. With the saying panel adhered to one side, making this what is more commonly known as a gate card (like you all don't know that though, hehe)


This card came together in 2 parts. First I saw a project call for ScrapStreet online magazine, asking for projects that have rulers on them. And the second part was in my search for Dad sayings on Scrapbook.com, I came across this saying which connected my want to use a ruler!



Even before this card came to mind, I had been searching online for a ruler stamp. I found some that I liked but was being a good girl and not buying anything. I hate wanting to only get one item and then you get stuck with shipping...that saves me from a lot of online shopping! LOL! So...I decided to take a stab at creating my own ruler. Not perfect but it worked. I also added just a bit of Crackle Accents.



Now for the challenge to emboss! I used my brand new Papertrey Ink polka dot stamps to make this design which I then embossed with UTEE. Giving it a very uneven texture. I stamped once with Antique Linen distress ink (which I did try to emboss but it was soaked so quickly into the paper that the UTEE had nothing to stick to).



And to the top of the card I stamped and emboss only with Versamark.



You know how you start with one idea but things take its own course. I started this with the intention of making my own plaid but once I stamped with Tattered Straw distress ink, I saw the color was darker then I thought, so the plaid would have covered too much of the printed paper. I have no used this all enough to figure out if it's the fact that my clear stamps are new, and that is why the distress ink is blotchy when I stamp with it. Or is it just how distress inks are with clear stamps? This stamp is also by Papertrey Ink distress stripes. I LOVE these stamps and think these are by far the best quality clear stamps I have used!



Last photo shows the inside of the card. All these printed papers come from DCWV Downtown Loft stack. I have to admit that some of the prints are not me, and I am not sure what I will do with them but the other half are really awesome for more masculine projects and I could really use more manly prints.



My next card is the one for my FIL. Paper is from DCWV Generation Tech. At first I was going to use the prints that centered on cell phones but I thought this piece, Our Legend was just perfect so I had to go with the matching prints. And my FIL loves anything techno, so video games were just up his alley!



I embossed the video game text with the Cuttlebug folder, Traffic Jam. I distress that a bit so that it would show up a little better...



There was this super cool print that was all green, graph paper like with lots of different video game controls on it. I fussy cut one and did a few layers of UTEE on it. IRL it looks like an epoxy sticker.


Our Legend was part of a page that had different things on it, all with gloss. I thought this was funny and went well with a Father's Day theme. I layered this against a striped piece, both this and the text print had red foil accents. I popped this and added some photo tabs and brads.



Thank you so much for looking...I can't wait to come back from vacation and see what you all have been cooking! I also cannot wait to come home because with the summer being here, I am really hoping to have a ton of time to just relax and craft! Have a good week all!

14 comments:

Kaye's Crafty Place said...

Both are just fab cards. You did a great job with the ruler, great idea to use it as a belly band.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

hugs
Kaye x

Sandy said...

Our Miss Leah and her wonderfully creative card making abilities. So nice to see you do these, they both turned out so well. Love love love the ruler sentiment...tooooo funny! I am so happy that you and your family are off for some fun time together, can't wait to see the pix. I know it must have been a difficult choice for you with Scotti and school and of course you made the right one, no doubt in my mind!! A parent is the only one who truly knows their child and will always do what is best for him/her. Scotti will flourish and be a strong, happy student I am sure! In the meantime enjoy your vacay...we will miss you next week but want you to have tons o' fun!!!!

Kelly said...

Oh Leah, I love both of these cards but the one you made for your dad is awesome. I love how you added the band with the ruler and tied it to the senitment! Great job on both cards! Have a great weekend!

DonnaMundinger said...

Hey lady, sorry I missed your call yesterday. I was just gonna call back when the MIL called and that was all she wrote. If I don't catch you today have a fab trip! Your cards are really great! Love all of the cool masculine details and techniques and your ruler and sentiment on your Dad's are soooo cool! Smoochies! D

GenCraft said...

Cute cards, Leah! I love the one you made for your dad! Very creative! Both cards are great. Have a great vacation and stay safe!

Beatriz said...

Leah, these cards are awesome! I love the colors and the words are perfect. Enjoy yourself and take a ton of pictures!

magicwanda said...

Hi Leah
I love the first one I have a thing for rulers....lol Don't second guess your self on your decision to hold back your son , if you thought it would help him you made the right choice. I hope you have fun on your vacation
Big Hugs Wanda:-D

Audrey Frelx said...

I just love both your cards.

So glad your son was not fazed by being held back, that can be so devastating for some children. I know you know what's best, so that in itself means you made the right decision, eventhough it was a difficult one. Kids do bounce back quickly fron just about everything though, so in the long-run it would have just evaporated anyway! LOL!

Isn't it funny how we mothers often take things so much worse than our children?!!! LOL!

Sandi Clarkson said...

Hi, there, Miss Leah, so glad you could get this one done with all that you have going on. What fab cards ... the one with the ruler may have to be lifted for my hubby this year! It is divine! The other is really great as well but I love that sentiment on your Dad's. As for Scott, we held Danielle back in second grade .. it was hard but what she needed .. and maybe we should have done it sooner. Have a great vacay!

CraftyGirl said...

Wow Leah!! Your cards are fantabulous!!! I totally need to start working on Father's day cards so I may just have to come on back here to take a closer look when I get started!! I love all the embossing you did on them... I really think it helps give the cards a more masculine feel!!

And... enjoy your vacation!! It's so nice that school is out, and it's great to take time with the kids!! Summers just seem to go by so quickly!! Have a good time and we will see you when you get back!!
Barb :)

Maureen Reiss said...

Both cards are Wonderful!! Love the saying on the first one, too cute!!

CelticWoman said...

WOW Leah, just amazing, great color and detail. Hugs

Nanne said...

I loooove that ruler card.. I got such a giggle out of the sentiment...LOL I so need to make that exact one for my habanero...LOL
Wonderful embossing skills you have GF..You've got skills..LOL :O)
ok.. Enjoy your vacation and I will miss you while you are away.. :O(
super hugs
Nanné

Debbie said...

How clever are you with the ruler!!! Great cards Leah! Don't feel bad about being behind on posting, you are not alone!