Wednesday, June 30, 2010

We had a little scare....

Not exactly what I thought I'd be posting...but we just got home from the hospital. We were admitted last night for observation for Cody. The first picture is still when he wasn't feeling good in the ER. That little sad face is something, isn't it!

Cody had a spill the night before off of a single step onto a flat wooden patio. He barely cried and had no other symptoms that night nor the following morning and because it was such a small step we didn't think much of it. He did have a little scrap on his forehead but that was it.

So anyways the next morning he was totally normal until breakfast time. He wouldn't eat and then went to sleep for a super early nap around 9am. Well long story short I was not able to get him to wake up all day. He slept and slept and the coule times he was "awake", he didn't even have his eyes totally open, he wouldn't respond to much...so we ended up in the ER.

He had a CT scan and that was clear so the ER doctor was going to let us go home! I pretty much was like, what the heck I can't get my baby to stay awake at all and I can just take him home! Luckily the pediatric doctor admitted him.

I am making this a longer story then I planned...sorry. Cody put up so much of a fight getting his IV put in and his blood drawn that he was known by all the other attending nurses! That little 17 pounder sure can put up a fight! LOL!

So after ruling out a possible case of digestion of some kind of medication he was diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome. Luckily he is good today and we are home, I just obviously need to keep an eye on him. And hopefully get a nap because I only slept between 4 and 6 am. SO much goes on when your in the hospital! Kinda scary that all that can happen because of a little bump on the head!



Here is a much happier boy this morning hanging out in his jail house crib! He was pretty cute this morning with his hospital outfit and big old IV get-up on his arm, so we have more pictures but thats I had to download now.


I am sure he'll be okay but any prayers would be much appreciated!

21 comments:

CraftyGirl said...

Oh leah... how scary!! I'm glad that he is coming home and things look well. I will certainly say a prayer for your handsome little man.

But I have to say... the sick scrapbooker side of me thinks the pictures are adorable and would make the best LO!! Even when he is hurt he is stil soooooo adorable!!!!

Now get some sleep!!!!!!!!
Barb :)

Audrey Frelx said...

Leah, I am so glad Cody is coming along and doing better!!! I can't even imagine how frightened you must have been!!! He is such a cute little guy and I hope you're all really fussing over him, giving him all the attention he can get.

When my son was a little guy I remember him putting up quite a fight when they had to give him an IV too. What a cute and funny memory you'll have to share with him when he's older!

Jo said...

Leah, so happy to hear Cody is okay! I know exactly how you feel ... when my daughter was three, she fell and hit her head while playing the Hokey Pokey. And, like Cody, she seemed fine immediately afterwards, but that all changed a few hours later. She had a brain injury and as a result had a grand mal seizure and spent a week in the hospital. I've never felt so helpless as I did while watching her have that seizure. Anyway, she's now 25 and happy, healthy and no longer plays the Hokey Pokey! I'm sending you my prayers and lot of positive thoughts. Hang in there ...

Jo xx

Maureen Reiss said...

Oh Leah, I'm so glad he's okay. I know what that feels like. My prayers are w/ you.

Sandi Clarkson said...

Aw, Leah, you poor gal! Things like that scare the bajeebers out of you! So glad that he is on the mend. And ... hate to say this but .. I see a layout in the making! Hugs

TERIBERI said...

Oh how scary!!! Good to hear he is doing better!!! You never know with head injuries so it's better to get checked right away instead of waiting. Many blessings to you and your family always!!!! BIG HUGS, T

pink cotton said...

Sending you guys lots of hugs & kisses! Poor Cody. I'm glad he's doing better.

scrappinlil said...

Oh how scary...I am glad to hear he is doing better. My dd did that when she was 9mths old and it is scary...she is now 5 but still scary when something happens to your child. Take care and I hope he is doing well. TFS

Leah said...

thanks so much for all the warm thoughts! I know if wasn't a fun time or anything but we did get some good pictures nonetheless! =o)

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I am sending prayers up now.... that is scary. Bless his little heart. you my friend need to get some sleep... hugs

Kelly said...

Poor little guy...head injuries can be scarey for sure. Big Hugs...hope you were able to catch up on your sleep which is something I don't think you can ever do...once it's gone, it's gone!

Margie said...

Oh my gosh, Leah! How scary! Poor little thing looks like he was a very good patient. I'm sure the worst is behind you now. My grandson, James fell out of the shopping cart at Babies R Us last month (he was 16 months at the time). My daughter let him sit in the basket part of the cart because he wouldn't sit still in the seat. She saw him fall but couldn't get to him in time. He landed smack on his forehead! In a panic, she didn't even think to call 911. She put him in the car and drove him to the ER, about 10 minutes away. She said he barely cried and in the car he was laughing. I got to the ER and, OMG! It looked like he had a golf ball under his skin and it was completed black and blue. But he was fine... eating, playing. The doctors said since he was showing no signs of a concussion or any other symptoms, they didn't want to do a ct scan. They didn't want to expose him to any unnecessary radiation and he was acting perfectly normal. Believe it or not, the only injury was that huge lump protruding from his forehead. It healed unbelievable quick and just as it was almost gone, he fell in the driveway and got a lump on the other side of his forehead. It looked like he had horns! LOL! So glad Cody and Mommy are doing well. Get some sleep, girl!

GenCraft said...

Holy cow! I'm glad everything is okay! Head injuries are not to be messed around with! Always have them looked at! Take care of everybody and yourself! You'll be in my thoughts!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Leah... what a scare! Praise god that he is okay now. If this happens again DO NOT let them fall asleep, keep them awake as much as you can and then rush to the hospital. I had the same thing when I was 14 and it cost me to be in bed for 3 months due to a concussion just like Cody had. Again, Praise the Lord he is okay now. Keep us posted!!!!

Brenda Benoit said...

Being a pediatric nurse I know how scary head injuries can get..you were wise to make sure he was ok before taking him back home.I am very pleased to hear that your little cutie is doing well...big hugs to him..having an Iv is no fun..poor pumpkin....

CelticWoman said...

Oh Leah, hope you get some much needed rest, I remember those ER days and it was a scary time for sure. Hugs

Fern said...

OMGosh Leah, I would have been a basket case!!! So glad that little Cody is doing better!! He's such a cutie pie!! Hope the boo boo on his head is better!!! Take care!!! Hugs!!!

Camille said...

I am so glad to read that Cody is doing better. Nothing is worse than having your little one in the hospital for any reason. Boy, this year flew by fast, didn't it??

Katie said...

I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better! What a scare! My son spent his first 3 months in the NICU, so I know how frightening it is to have your little one in the hospital. Hugs!

Bella and Aidee Mom said...

Leah...
So very sorry about your baby..They fall all the time at that age..we would be in the hospital everyday..lol...I am soooo glad he is fine now...Hugs...Krista

Sandiecris said...

so glad he's OK now.... and I love you work