Friday, October 15, 2010

PICU ~SOUS October 15~


PICU

This was a tough one to do but it had to be done! Even though scrapbooking is a wonderful hobby and full of fun, life isn't always. And I think scrapping can be a lot more then just paper and stickers. So as hard as this subject was for me to do, I felt like I needed to do it. Almost for me to let go of the fear of something happening to him, or any of my kids.

So...this was for our challenge sketch day at Stuck on U Sketches and here is our wonderful sketch! Kinda a cool one I think. I needed way more room then provided so I made mine into a 2 page spread.

Now this is more then likely the most simple LO I have done since I started really getting into scrapping. But I felt like with the subject matter...getting all into it just didn't feel right. I needed something clutter free and to the point. So as much as I feel like this is a little too simple for my liking, I think it may be more appropriate. Ya know? It is pretty sweet though but that may be my baby boy more then the paper, LOL!


PICU, for maybe those that don't know stands for Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. This past July my son Cody, 12 months at the time, would not wake from his naps and was almost totally unresponsive. It was, as you can imagine, pretty scary. Though looking back, I was so extremely calm through the experience. I guess I am a stronger, more positive person then even I knew! LOL! Even though we never found out what happened to him (even with 4 days in the hospital and him "asleep" for almost 3 1/2 days total) but I am just happy to say that he remains perfectly healthy, and happy!


The pocket here is actually from the outfit he wore on the second trip to the hospital, where they cut off his clothes in the ER. I saved the light blue outfit as well but couldn't get creative enough to figure out what to do with the fabric. So instead of following the sketch with 3 photos horizontal, I did 2 "squares" vertically.


Childrens Hospital Oakland, Ca reads the title on this page. Done in cream it blends into the white background but still shows enough.


My bandaid was handmade and the medical bag was cut from Wild Card, I think, and the stethiscope (sp?) was cut from Everyday Paper Dolls. All embossed with Swiss Dots.


Don't forget to pop to Stuck on U Sketches for LOTS of great projects and also another with our Guest Designer Jane! So there is a TON to see this week!

17 comments:

Maureen Reiss said...

AWWWW!! My heart is breaking all over again for you. How hard this must have been for you. I think you're right, maybe this will be the release you need to let some of that fear go. He's fine now. This LO is soooo sweet. My thoughts are with you.

Highland Monkey's said...

I don't do scrapping myself but I am in awe of those of you that do, the creations are wonderful. You're imagination must be on overdrive sometimes!

Tammy said...

How tough this must have been! It breaks my heart to see those wires attached to his head. So glad this is behind you. Great layout, and I love how you used the pocket.

Bug Junkie said...

What a scary time for you. I love your layout and understand how you feel about it being hard to get in to. The elements you added are PERFECT! Love the little pocket and the message on the band-aid. So glad he's healthy now!

Fern said...

Leah, fantastic 2 page layout!! Cody is such a sweetheart and you are one amazing mother!! So glad this had a happy ending!! The embellies are perfect!! Have a wonderful weekend sweetie!! Hugs!!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I remember that Leah, it brought us all to our knees in prayer. What a great lo (as always) hugs

The6ofusinca said...

What a difficult time that was for you and your family. Your right, the pictures say it all and your embellies are JUST the perfect amount. Beautiful layout for beautiful CodyMan!
Kisses, hugs and blessings to you all.
Jen

Sandi Cl~ said...

Hey, there, Leah ... boy, what a hard topic to scrap! It's one of those things you need to document and journal about but not the greatest memories except for his coming home a healthy boy! I absolutely don't know what else you would add to theis page.! I think it's perfect .. great pix, a title and most important your journaling. And how adorable to his his wee little pocket .. love it! Hope the weekend goes better for you and everybody gets over their colds! Hugs!

CraftyGirl said...

Hi Leah!! Remember me?!! lol!! I am sorry I have been a bad blogging friend lately!! Maybe now life will slow down a bit and I can spend a bit more time doing what I like!! I have to tell you... these photos are so darn sweet!! I know he wasn't feeling well, and he looks so pitiful in these photos, but there is also something very tender about them! I agree with Sandi... I wouldn't add a thing... the story says it all. And using the pocket from his outfit is not only brilliant, it is an adorable embellishment!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend and I will try to get back to visiting a little more often!! LOL!!
barb :)

Audrey Frelx said...

Leah, I can understand how hard this layout was for you to do, however, it's beautiful; and you managed to do it -- and gracefully!

God Bless you and your family!

Debbie said...

Leah you did a wonderful job with the sketch and a two pager to boot! I can appreciate how hard it must have been to scrap this memory. I have pics of my daughter when she was 16 months old after heart surgery. She is now 20 and believe it or not, I have not yet been able to scrap the pictures! So thankful for you and your family that Cody is well now!

Ness said...

Leah this is fantastic!! Gosh this would have been hard for you to scrap, at least he's healthy now. I find it hard to scrap my Dad after his passing 7 years ago, I cry everytime I try. Hugs to you Leah. Love your double page take on the sketch. Love Ness xx

annette said...

Leah, fabulous double LO .. you have dealt with the subject brilliantly, your journaling is so poignant the photos are perfect & I love the little pocket ... love Annette x:)

CelticWoman said...

Leah, wow wow wow, this is a great layout, love the round format and the colors are awesome. Hugs

Stine said...

Oh Leah. I bet this was a tough one. My heart really aches when I see those photoes, but you are so right in doing them. Both for yourself and for Cody when he is older. Love how you incorfporated his pocket in your layout. Awesome.

Tammara said...

Leah, your layout is perfect. I love that you added the little pocket from his outfit.

Kwilt said...

Leah...I have to agree with every comment here. What a tremendous layout to work on...seeing those precious pics and reading your thoughts bring tears as I sit here thinking about it. "What happened baby?"...my heart hurts for you and all that you went through! Thanks goodness you are past that time and can now go on and enjoy the blessings each day brings with your little man! :) The teddy bear pocket is perfect...such a tender touch to an awesome Layout!! Amazing work!!!

Hugs...Kathy