Friday, January 14, 2011

You Take The Cake ~She's a Sassy Lady~

You Take The Cake


Hey all! Today is my very first day at She's a Sassy Lady! I am excited to be a part of the team here and look forward to sharing projects of all types with you. Today I have for you my very first project using the Cricut Imagine! After reading so much out there about Provo Craft's newest toy release, I was not too sure what I was getting into but after getting to know this new machine. I am pretty excited about it! I hope to share some Imagine insight with you, somehow to's and maybe take the guess work out of the machine for you guys.
Now my first tutorial is all about the printing part of the Imagine. We all know it's a die cut machine on steroids but there are some neat possibilities with the printing part of it. This sweet card (for my husband on Valentine's Day) comes from the Yummy cartridge. Now we all know that you can print images, how I think of it is printing something more like what you see on a greeting card from the store. You can print a single layer image or cut in layers like I did here. You can change to colors/patterns of each layer but for this example, I would have lost the words on here had I changed the color. So I went with cutting in layers what was shown on the cartridge.


There are many different setting for the Imagine machine but the first thing I really noticed was being able to print in Draft Quality or Best Quality. When you first are getting used to the machine, I say to save the ink and use Draft Quality!
Hit the Menu button and go to Settings.



On the left side you have some options, the second is the print quality, choose Draft Quality.



Now here is something I had not seen online. There are some shapes saved on the Imagine without any carts put in. I chose the very first one. The pencil on the top left on the highlighted image is how you alter the image (change colors, patterns, sizes, etc.)




There is not an option for a pattern to use since no cartridge is in the machine but there are some plain colors. I chose this blue and printed in Draft Quality.



This photo shows you the 3 layered images and the blue background as printed in Draft Quality



And here is the card all dolled up! You can of course print in Best Quality and the image will stand alone but why not print in Draft Quality, save some ink and spruce up the images yourself!


I used a paint brush and distress inks to water color my cupcake. I love how it turned out and how you can really make it any color you want! I used Spun Sugar for my frosting but the very slight print behind it still shows up. I added some Crackle Accents to the cherry on top. You can also see what Distress Inks do to the blue background and the pink piece.



I used Broken China to give some color to the blue die cut and then embossed with Background Basics: Hearts by Papertrey Ink. After that I used some Faded Jeans distress ink and made sure to whip off anything that might have been over the embossed hearts. I used only Versamark ink the stamp the kraft card base.



Now the wording on here still needed something so I used an embossing pen to draw over the sentiment, You Take, and embossed with clear embossing powder. I also used the pen to add some embossed dots to the piece. The Cake was kept as is with some blue and brown distress inks on the corners.


I hope this gives you a ton of ideas how to make Draft Quality printing work for you on the Imagine machine. I love that you can still get something printed but you can take it a step further in making it your own!

12 comments:

AmandaB said...

Oh Leah, I am loving you yummy card.. I really like the colors you used..

Amanda:0)

Margie said...

Fabulous, Leah!!! Love the colors, LOVE the embossing!

DonnaMundinger said...

This is so YOU! Hilarious that you found a way to not "waste" ink! Actually great ideas, though but seriously, you crack me right up! I'm still scrambling to keep up after the holidays, but hopefully soon we can get together so you can show me shat you've learned (obviously alot!) so I can get my I actually running and not just taking up space. Love the card and the subtle embossed touches. Fabulous tut, my dear, and big congrats! xxD

CraftyGirl said...

Look at you ... you little show off! Your first day with us and you create this perfectly adorable, detailed filled card!! Love it!! The imagine looks pretty amazing and it is neat to see all the great things it can do.... you keep it up and my husband may just have to invest in one for me!! lol!! Welcome to the team.... your first post was perfect!!
Barb :)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Leah this is such a great little card. Love the colors and the embossing and your tutorial is wonderful. Thanks for sharing with us at Shes A Sassy Lady today!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Leah you have done a FABULOUS job on this and your instructions.. Sheila is so lucky to have you on her dt.. (I guess by now after me leaving 3 messages all over that I would love to come for lessons with D)

Audrey Frelx said...

What a beautiful card, Leah!!! And, I for one, really appreciate the tutorial being that I've been trying to do a lot of playing around with my Imagine and need all the help I can get!!! I hadn't even realized to use the draft mode for printing -- thanks much for that!!!

I just love your card!!!

Audrey Frelx said...

Oh, I meant to say -- again, welcome to the team!!! Love having you and looking forward to all your wonderful and crafty creations!

magicwanda said...

Hi Leah , Boy you sure are one busy lady....
I love the card and congrats on your new venture! You will do great at it as you do with every thing. Big hugs Wanda :-D

Sandi Cl~ said...

Just thought I would pop over here with more congrats! Awesome first tute and Donna is right about this being so totally YOU! LOL
A penny saved is a penny earned!

Fern said...

First of all, Leah, Congrats!!! So excited for you!! And, your card and tutorial on how to make it, are fabulous!!! I love the different embossing methods you used!! I know your DH is going to love it!!! Have a wonderful weekend!!! Hugs!!

CelticWoman said...

It is just beautiful. Hugs