Friday, February 11, 2011

Smile ~SOUS Tutorial~


Smile


This little tutorial is for Stuck on U Sketches!

It was brought to my attention that some people do not use their Cuttlebug (or other
embossing machines) as much as they would like. It really is such a neat tool
and can add so much detail to papercrafting projects that I decided to show you
how much it can add to die cuts.
The layout above is really cute, really simple and shows you what a bit of embossing
can do, the small flower and scallop border for example.

Here is a list of basic tools:
Cuttlebug (or any embossing machine)
inks, chalks, etc
sanding tool (keep in mind that these
will really add more dimension and bring the embossing to life)
shimmer sprays (mine was made with mini misters
and Perfect Pearls)


I also wanted to show you what you can do when die cuts do not fit, like in the example below....


Since this piece was the background, I just cut the branches off and then carefully taped
it back together. For the trunk, I rotated the die cut to make sure I embossed
the entire shape. Now keep in mind how the embossing folder and the die cut
hanging off the edges will fit into the machine.



Now here is the layout completed but without any embossing...
you can really see the tremendous difference the embossing details make!



And now all the elements embossed and inked!
For the little worms body, I only put the body instead the folder and
kept the head out. But be careful what folder you use because this
one tore so I needed an itty bitty piece of tape to secure it back together.
The flowers were embossed by choosing a embossing folder with a flower on it (like Floral Fantasy), I then centered the die cut right in the middle of the flower and got a
flower design embossed on the flower die cut (those are for
the two smaller tulip flowers).


And lastly, some details of the completed project...


I truly hope this gives you some ideas and will help you to
incorporate embossing with your die cuts as well as just into
layouts in general!

11 comments:

Maureen Reiss said...

Super cute LO!! Thanks for the info!

Margie said...

Gorgeous, Leah! Love the tip on the embossing! I never would have thought to do that. The layouts are just beautiful!

Sandi Cl~ said...

Great tute, Leah. Love your ittle critters ...and the treee is awesome! Thanks for doing!

CraftyGirl said...

You go ahead and keep those tips coming!! lol! I love learning all you secrets! You do such a fabulous job of embossing... I really need to make more of an effort to include it. I think what I really need is for you to hang out in my craft room and give me constant reminders!! That's not too much to ask is it?! lol!! Cute LO!
Barb :)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Thanks for the reminder to emboss more often I just love how it looks on a finished page. TFS

ScrappingStephanie said...

Hello Leah. I am so happy that Margie from Bella Bug Creations told me about your blog. I just spent the past hour looking over all your projects and reading all your post. I could have commented on every single one, but then I would have been here for hours, maybe even days. You are so talented, and I LOVE all your work. Your scrapbook pages are amazing and so darling. I love the way you add little tips and helpful tricks into your post. I am your newest follower and will be back often. Hope you can stop by my blog and say hi. Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Stephanie

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to do this and inspires us to use our machines. I know the picture does not do justice to the actual beauty of the work. Love your page, love the colors and all your details.

Fern said...

Leah, the layout is adorable and the tutorial is fantastic!!! I left a comment over on SOUS but I had to come over and see it again!!! I really do need to use the cuttlebug and embossing folders on my layouts and not just cards!!! Thanks for the reminder, sweetie!!! Have a great weekend!!! Hugs!!!

Debbie said...

Precious Leah!!!! I really like how much embossing you incorporated into the layout! Just love the colors on your layout and of course the sweet picture! Like Fern, I need to dig out my embossing folders. Thanks for sharing!!

Sandy said...

what a great tut...and you know i love this page...this is put together perfectly...and that girl of yours is just beautiful...you can come visit me in KS whenever you like...the snow is almost gone...expecting 70 on Thursday...spring is just around the corner...I loved the blizzard...you know me...any excuse for a snowday...LOL

DonnaMundinger said...

Embossing sure makes a HUGE difference! Love how you got the tree to fit and you can't see where it was cut apart. Sweet sweet layout! xxD