Friday, December 30, 2011

Snowflake Mask Cards ~SOUS Die Cut Challenge Snowflakes~


Snowflake Mask Cards

Oh, it's almost the New Year! Can you believe it? Another YEAR gone by? How is it even possible? Wow! Well today is post day for a SOUS Die Cut Challenge and it's kind of a neat one, chosen by Sandi...

Snowflakes..lots and lots of snowflakes! =) So just one isn't gonna do! LOL!

I had a few ideas for this one, I've got to say but once it was time to start something, I had an idea to take this in a bit of a different direction. A few of our DT gals, like Shona and Bonnie do some great masking techniques and I thought I would try one as well. 

Choosing and welding the different snowflakes from my different Cricut carts was probably one of the hardest and most time consuming part about the cards. Hiding contours, moving things, viewing what would actually cut...it took forever! LOL!


Okay so the deets on the card...that gorgeous blue is Papertrey Ink. The brown from my scraps bin. I used the Cricut snowflakes as a mask. Sprayed once with a brown Tattered Angels chalkboard mist and then with the mask removed with a white mist.


The sentiment was embossed with a shimmery gold powder and outlined with a white chalkboard pen. I'm quickly becoming a fan of this pen as its lighter then a standard white gel pen and can add just the right amount of white detail without being too much. And then lastly, I added some brown flakes (yeah, punched) and some gold gems. The card is finished with wired rimmed ribbon.


I had no intentions on making this card but the mask was so pretty that I thought I should use that as well! The photos make the pink paper a bit pinker then it is in person since it was sprayed with the brown mist, its much more muted then this.


The base card, paper again by Papertrey Ink, embossed with a Sizzix snowflake folder. Sizzix embossing on Papertrey's thick paper is one of the most beautiful dry embossing I've ever seen! What a combo!


I guess you can't see any of the shine on the pink but its just lovely! Overlayed on blue paper and trimmed in a dark brown. Purrty! I hand made this little "ribbon" piece with letter stickers by Basic Grey. Added a small snowflake and a small heart clear gem.


2 cards for the price of one! Yay! LOL! I do hope you'll go by SOUS and see what the girls did...amazing work as always!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I know it has been ages since I have stopped by to say hello. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas...the best to you in 2012! I'll be back after the 1st of the year to see what you've been up to!

annette said...

terrific cards Leah,love your work with the various snowflakes.. BTW
I bought my first die, yes I'm being converted... LOL!!!... I have a cuttlebug which I have dusted off...
ready to start in 2012 .... wishing you & yours a great New Year..

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Leah, love your cards, they are both beautiful. Happy New Year and many, many blessings to you and to your loved ones!

Nanne said...

Oh wow Leah, you are a clever girl.. Love your techniques and I was so glad to read them cause you had me wondering how you did the embossing, etc.. these cards are both beautiful..
Happy New Year
Hugs
Nanné

Sandi Cl~ said...

What gorgeous cards, my friend! Love all the work you did on the first and thenalso used on the second. Can't beat that! I agree with Nanne .. that embossing is gorgeous! Have a Happy NY! I am off to buy snackies and bubbly!

Tammy E. said...

So unique and pretty. You did a great job with the challenge! Love them.