Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Practiced Pin: Funfetti Dip, Banana Bread and Lemon Cookies


Practiced Pin

 Hi friends! Hope every one is doing well!
 I have been wanting to start sharing some recipes with you all for awhile and decided, today is the day! Most of my recipes do come from Pinterest. I can't tell you how amazing that site has been for me! Totally changed my eating life! I used to spend hours and hours trying to search the web for recipes and then after starting up on Pinterest realized that was the place to find all those recipes! Yay!

 So I thought I would start some new posts on my blog about what I've actually MADE for pinning. Not just pinning...now isn't that a thought! LOL!  Hence the post title....practiced (because I actually DID it) and pin since the recipe came from there! 

 First up is Funfetti Cake Dip! I've already handed this recipe out to the other mom's at school! I made this to share at a party and all the children (and parents) sat around this bowl! It is a must for any occasion that's going to have kiddo's around! All the recipes are the same, pretty much, but thought I'd still share the link below. 

 I used this recipe from Eat Yourself Skinny. Funfetti Cake Dip
 The only change is that I used nonfat vanilla yogurt because it was on sale. It was still delish! I also used more sugar free Cool Whip then the recipe called for (using up what was left in the container). What I did not read in the recipes....warning....this makes a TON of dip! You'll have a ton left over or you can get little containers and share them with whomever else is at the party. 
 Next time I have this I'll serve it with fruit! 


 Oh...these cookies! I made them during Christmas, just after finally getting over scarlett fever! These are now one of my all time favorite cookies!

 Lemon Crinkle Cookies , I followed the recipe but found it didn't make all that many cookies...if you want to eat them like I want to. So anytime I make these I'll just go ahead and double the recipe! =) But really...apparently award winning recipe! Go them! =)  Took me awhile to realize what LDS was. Duh.

 And the Buttermilk Banana Bread, I've been making banana bread for years using my mom's recipe which is pretty much the same as the link, I am sharing the link though because this was the first time using buttermilk...omg! Best banana bread ever! I did tweek it though so I'll share what I did (my changes will be color coded). 

3 cups flour
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp baking soda
½ cup chopped pecans (optional) I can't stand adding nuts to baked goods
2 cups sugar
½ cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or substitute 1 cup milk with juice of one lemon) only used buttermilk
5 - 6 very ripe bananas I always end up adding more since our banana's are always huge
I've also added a tsp of vanilla. I believe that vanilla makes the world a better place. 
And 2 heaping spoon fulls of orange juice frozen concentrate. (the stuff in the can found in the freezer section of the grocery store). The bread does not taste like orange, but somehow it adds another level to the bread! Gotta try it! 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Prepare two loaf pans by buttering and lining with parchment paper.
You may ask yourself, as I did. Why butter the pan and still add paper? Well first, don't "butter" just use a cooking spray, way easier. The spray or butter helps to keep the paper in place. Finally had that light bulb moment to figure that one out! 
Sift or whisk flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  Add pecans if using, then set aside. In a separate bowl, cream sugar and butter. Mix in eggs, one at a time, then add the bananas. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating until incorporated.  Try to end with the dry ingredient addition, and be sure not to over mix.
Bake in buttered loaf pans for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
I don't know if it's because of my grande banana's but this always makes a ton of bread. Sometimes I will cook this in a 9x13 pan and cut into smaller pieces and thaw, but normally I cook these in 9x9 pans. Why? Because I don't have regular loafs pans. So there. I also cooked at a bit higher temp, 325. And checked after 20 minutes and added minutes until I it looked right. Toothpicks can lie. 



Well I hope you all try these out!
 I honestly have so much more to share with you all, can't wait!

 See you back on Friday for the Stuck on U Sketches and Whimsical Wednesday blog hop!

1 comment:

Audrey Frelx said...

Oh-oh, bow I'm hungry!!! LOL!

Hi, Leah! It looks yummy!!!